After attending the 2012 ACTFL convention, I decided to increase the amount of L2 I used during instruction. I initially expected the transition to be challenging. However, the transition to 90+% target language use was easier than I thought. I noticed…
- …Immediate student ability to operate in immersion the setting.
- …25 out of 26 classes reached 90% or more on first 40 minute session.
- …In the first 4 months, my records showed 99.44% target language use.
In order to effectively stay in the target language I had made changes to my strategies for instruction, assessment and classroom management. The changes worked!
Stay tuned to this blog every Tuesday. I’ll share the ideas and strategies that I’ve implemented that have allowed me to stay in the target language over 90% of the time. Generally I’ll start with ideas for managing student behavior in the TL. Then I’ll follow with effective methods of instruction and assessment. Feel free to submit questions in the comments section of the blog or on twitter. I want my advice to be practical and reproduceable.
My ‘TL’ Story (Part 4): SUCCESS – Transition To 90+% Was Easier Than I Thought